Project Updates

We’re still working steadily on our Steampunk projects. I finished a nifty shirt on Saturday and started building some of  Starshine’s inner workings. The inner workings won’t be complete for another day or so.  Her dress is mostly finished, with only the closure remaining. I’m still deciding on how best to do that. Her apron is complete. The photos I’m sharing here are of my completed shirt and the first day’s progress on the inner workings. I’ve worked on it a bit more since those photos were taken and I’ll upload a photo again when the whole outfit is complete.

First, the shirt…

I created this shirt with some fabric that was given to me several years ago. I used vintage pattern Simplicity Jiffy 7569, option 2. The only modification is the lace edging. Since the pattern photo showed the hem to be a bit shorter than I was looking for, I simply serged the edge and then topped it with the lace. The lace I used was from a 55" bolt (or so) and I only had somewhere around 1/8 yd. I cut it into 2" strips and gathered it. My shirt is quite comfortable and I can't wait to make more.

I created this shirt with some fabric that was given to me several years ago. I used vintage pattern Simplicity Jiffy 7569, option 2. The only modification is the lace edging. Since the pattern photo showed the hem to be a bit shorter than I was looking for, I simply serged the edge and then topped it with the lace. The lace I used was from a 55″ bolt (or so) and I only had somewhere around 1/8 yd. I cut it into 2″ strips and gathered it. My shirt is quite comfortable and I can’t wait to make more.

And Starshine’s inner workings…

I won't go into too many details. I don't want to spoil the surprise. I'll break down the process in another blog post if anyone is interested. The ingredients used here are jewelry and scrapbook findings and wire, needlework plastic, brown acrylic paint, gold hologram glitter fingernail polish, recycled computer parts, and probably more. There was no glue used in the part of the project. I have nothing against glue but ones that would hold all this type of stuff take a while to dry and I still have a lot of work left to do on this piece.

I won’t go into too many details. I don’t want to spoil the surprise. I’ll break down the process in another blog post if anyone is interested. The ingredients used here are jewelry and scrapbook findings and wire, needlework plastic, brown acrylic paint, gold hologram glitter fingernail polish, recycled computer parts, and probably more. There was no glue used in this part of the project. I have nothing against glue but ones that would hold all this type of stuff take a while to dry and I still have a lot of work left to do on this piece.

Here's the second part of Starshine's inner workings. I think it's probably self-explanatory but if I'm wrong, you'll have to wait until the whole outfit is done before I'll tell more about it. For this piece, I used gold metallic trim, Fabri-tac glue, a super-fantastic-awesome button I've been dying to use on /any/ project, and some recycled plastic from a broken poster frame that John cut to size for me.

Here’s the second part of Starshine’s inner workings. I think it’s probably self-explanatory but if I’m wrong, you’ll have to wait until the whole outfit is done before I’ll tell more about it. For this piece, I used gold metallic trim, Fabri-tac glue, a super-fantastic-awesome button I’ve been dying to use on /any/ project, and some recycled plastic from a broken poster frame that John cut to size for me.

Stay tuned for more Steampunk fun…

“It is not so for art in appreciation because art is concerned with human behavior. And science is concerned with the behavior of metal or energy. It depends on what the fashion is. Now today it’s energy. It’s the same soul behind it. The same soul, you see.” ~ Josef Albers

Isn’t it pretty nifty that Steampunk is a bit of both? Granted, mine leans far more to the artsy side than the scientific one but given the correct parts and enough time, I’d love to build functional pieces to add to our costumes. What fun that would be!

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Project Updates

    • kittlesfamilyartworks2012 says:

      Me, too! When I work on things like this, I start with a very rough and nebulous idea of what I want and then let the project shape itself from there. I have no idea how I’m going to put the two parts of Starshine’s inner workings together. I have only vague ideas of how to attach them to her when they are complete. But is will be fabulous when it’s done. LOL I still have Magiba’s dress to sew and John’s military-style jacket to cut out and sew. I’m not sure I’ll get it all done for next Wednesday but I’m giving it my best. Thanks for reading and commenting! 🙂

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s