As you may have read in one of my previous posts, our local theater is working on “The Diary of Anne Frank” and I’m one of the Costume Brigade. Today was our first day of school and when we were done, I started work on the alterations for one skirt Starshine will use. I finished that and had some strange idea that I had plenty of time to go ahead and work on a new skirt for her, the slip she’s going to need, and maybe one other skirt in a sort of jumper style like this. I’m still going to make that last skirt, no matter if she uses it for the play or not. She’s been asking for one for quite some time.
I moved on to the first skirt and just did a simple one seam/casing/elastic/hemming method. No pattern is required for this sort of skirt. You just need to know the length you want the skirt to be. I moved on to the slip because I know she definitely needs that. (She also needs a nightgown but I’m not even ready to tackle that yet.) I had to cut the slip without a pattern. I did use a girls dress pattern to determine the length I would probably need for it and just went from there. It’ll be interesting since I’m almost positive I’ll need to add darts for shape. I’ve never done that before. We’ll see how it turns out. I’m happy with it so far. I’ve got the front and back cut out and I’ve added the lace trim to the bottom edge. I’m really happy with the way the lace trim turned out. I layered a piece of hem tape with two strips of a very thin lace. The hem tape is white with a light blue accent stripe down both sides. The picture doesn’t really show the color well but it shows the design just fine. I hope you enjoy the photo!