This evening, John and I pulled off a photo shoot that was a lot of fun. We’d been tossing the idea around of possible fantasy art style photo shoots for a little while. I had a few yards of this really filmy, rough fabric and thought it would be perfect for that kind of costume. I whipped up a layered drawstring skirt by putting strips of the fabric together. After the skirt was sewn, I ripped the wider pieces upward to give it a worn, old, and tattered feeling. For the top, I made a mock-bandana style using several layers of the fabric, cutting the bottom edges roughly to continue the tattered theme. I had fun putting together a make-up and hair-style for the costume, even though I knew it wouldn’t be seen in the photo. I like to try to achieve new looks with the things I have on hand. We never know what we’ll need for the next theater production we’re involved in.
Today’s post will contain the photos from our busy weekend and dreary holiday. I finally got my phone to work correctly again. I hope you’ll enjoy these.
First, Starshine wanted lots of detective things for her birthday. So I themed her party along those lines. Working on a budget means you grab ideas from everywhere…sometimes out of the box the gifts were packaged in! I love shopping at Amazon. Lately, they’re using paper as packing material. This time it was thin and brown and crumpled. That was perfect! I carefully unfolded it and smoothed it enough to cut the lengths I needed. I wrapped all her gifts but two in that paper and still had some to spare. I saved it. You never know when brown paper will come in handy! One of the gifts was wrapped in brown paper used specifically for mailing packages. The other was wrapped in a plain, small, brown paper bag I saved from a grocery run. I used a nifty typewriter font in the largest font size possible, to write the word “classified” and printed it up on cardstock. I was able to fit the word on the page three times when printing it on the landscape setting. I used my scrapbooking paper trimmer to cut the words apart. I taped one word onto each package using two strips of thin, black duct tape. I also labeled the packages on those word cards. If I’d had a bit more time, and it wasn’t 3:00 am, I’d have really fixed them up to look like mailed packages. The finishing touch was a bit of twine in copper and white or silver and white to tie them up. No frills. No bows. No curly ribbon. She’s not really into that kind of thing right now. So I thought I’d share a photo of the packages.
We weren’t sure what to expect for the Mardi Gras holiday, weather-wise, but I’m pretty sure no one expected icy conditions like these. Still, people did go out and manage to have fun. Here are my photos of the icy plant life and dreary conditions.
If you want to see a truly fantastic photo of our rose bush and its icy coat, click here to see John’s photo at his blog. He worked his magic again and came out with a beautiful work of art. He’s been doing some fantastic work this year so be sure to check out more of it if you like what you see at the link.
And for your listening enjoyment, one of our favorite artists…Shorty Trombone.