“Inside The Inner Workings” #7 of my mixed media Mask Series is finally complete! I used acrylic paints, flat-backed glass floral marbles, nail enamel paint, antique brass beads, copper wire, silver-tone metal findings, antique brass gears, zinc plated star washers, antique brass toggle clasps, silver-tone beads, antique silver eyelets, black/gold mesh fabric, copper stretch fabric, black with gold hologram dot fabric, black sequin fabric, white iridescent square printed fabric and put the elements together on an 11 x 14 canvas. The mask base is purple lace with hologram dot sequins scattered throughout. It’s embroidered in gold. I wanted to go for a Steampunk feel with this one. I feel like I got close but I’m not entirely certain. However, I’m really pleased with the result. I hope you’ll enjoy the photo! I have to thank John for herding cats so I could sign the artwork and then snap the shot. This piece is for sale. If you are interested, please contact me.
I finally got the gears for the mask in place. I think I’m going to stop with this for the mask decoration. I still have thing to do to finish the canvas before adding the mask to it but progress is progress, no matter how small, as Dr. Seuss says. I’m keeping it short tonight. I hope you enjoy this photo I took while we were out at the Eunice Farmer’s Market. After this post, I won’t post any more photos of #7 until it’s complete. But I will continue to blog if I see or do something I wish to share.
On a completely different note, can you see owls in the frame? I was looking at it from a reverse perspective and I can see owls! But the frame is called ‘droid’ and I thought that would be appropriate for this mask with a robotic eye. 🙂 I hope you enjoy the photo. Feel free to leave comments or ask questions!
As promised, here’s an update of what I’ve done lately on Mask Series #7 mixed media art project. It’s not much but this part took a good bit of time to paint and dry and figure out. I hope you’ll enjoy the photo. The mask has one dragon eye and one mechanical eye. I purposely edited it with a mysterious and creepy feel. It seemed to go well with those mismatched eyes. I’m really liking it, though! And still having fun!
For the creation of the eyes, I used a wooden tooth pick and fingernail polish in these colors: black, red metallic, gold metallic, ice blue metallic, turquoise blue metallic, and white. I used the white to seal the backs of the marbles. I also find the white really makes the colors more opaque and vibrant. More to come! I hope I will be able to spend a little more time on it tomorrow. Feel free to ask questions or leave a comment below!
And there’s your completely blatant clue as to where this project is heading. But I promise you, it will definitely be an odd take on the genre. 🙂